English at Chi Hong
At Chi Hong, we believe that every child can learn English and become a confident speaker. To give our students every opportunity to grow in their English abilities, we make use of the following curriculum, written for the needs of Hong Kong students:
Longman Elect 2nd Edition (Pearson, Hong Kong)
Our English curriculum has at its heart the four core competencies of listening, speaking, reading and writing. We believe that students should have a balance of these four skills as they acquire the language, so as to develop in the most rounded way possible.
Along the way, our curriculum is supplemented with targeted, school-based materials that aim at boosting students’ abilities in the following areas:
P.1-3: School-based booklets strengthen students’ grammar foundation, word knowledge and reading strategies
P.4-6 School-based booklets extend and strengthen students’ reading and writing abilities.
Reading at Chi Hong
Building a solid reading habit is the foundation of strong English learning. This will help you learn more words, understand better, think critically, expose you to different types of writing, and appreciate the language. By doing this, you will build a solid foundation for mastering the English language.
At Chi Hong, we have five NET teachers to help you improve your English. Meet them below!
Hi, I'm Mr Adam! I love teaching English through different activities. My students enjoy my lessons because we always chat together and they get to tell me their funny stories! I love to share elements of English culture with my students, such as songs, interesting cultural points or little souvenirs.
||Hi, I'm Ms A! I am a dynamic teacher who uses play and drama to teach English, helping my students build confidence in speaking English within a fun and supportive environment.
Hey there, I'm Miss Dunning, your NET teacher. We're going to have a blast learning English together. Get ready for fun and learning in our class! In our English class, we'll learn all about the English language and how to communicate effectively. We'll practice speaking, listening, reading, and writing in English through storytelling, games, interactive activities, and cool STEM projects.
||Hi, I'm Miss Sophia! I love teaching English to our lovely students. Nothing better than growing, learning, and playing together!
||Hi! I'm Ms Ila! I'm a joyful teacher who loves teaching English through interactive and exciting games, so our students can have fun while learning English!
Reading animal strategies are a useful tool for improving reading comprehension, critical thinking, and retention in the English class. By engaging with the text through predicting, questioning, clarifying, summarising and connecting, students become more active readers and develop essential skills.
The English reading program takes stories related to the GE curriculum as a starting point for teaching students English reading, writing and language skills. Some of the English reading lessons focus on guided reading with smaller groups and the use of our animal reading strategies, this encourages maximum engagement and allows for individualised instruction for students of all different abilities and reading levels. The English reading program also includes two units of STEM projects. Students read stories and sing songs that relate to STEM topics and then engage in hands-on projects. By using stories and songs to introduce STEM projects, students are able to make connections between language and real-world applications, which can help them better understand and retain what they have learned.
STEM in English at Chi Hong
At Chi Hong, our English Reading Programme also incorporates a range of fun STEM activities, so students can learn English in a natural way through engaging activities. Take a look at some of our fun experiments below:
Watch as our P.1 students learn all about changing colours in English!
P.2 students bring the solar system to life with their amazing models of the sun, the earth and the moon!
In P.3, students learn how to treasure the resources they have and have a go at making their own paper out of recycled bits of newspaper!
Students discover nature through the Oxygen Cycle in P.4, as they understand more about how plants breathe.
P.5 students try their hands at making their own electric circuits using cardboard, copper tape and LED lights. In the process, they learn all about how electricity works in English.
In P.6, students appreciate how the world is seen from different perspectives, as they learn about how we can help those with disabilities. Through a range of interactive experiences, they flex their empathy and show their compassion for those around them.
Reading is a vital skill for a child's education and personal growth. Our school offers access to the Highlights Library, which provides a diverse collection of books for students to explore and enjoy. The library promotes a love of reading and encourages students to discover new ideas and perspectives. Regular reading improves concentration, critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity, and can be a great way to unwind. We encourage our students to utilize the library and develop a lifelong passion for reading, which can benefit them in countless ways throughout their lives.
English Competitions and Achievements
This year, our students have achieved great success in various competitions. In the 2022-2023 Hong Kong Speech Festival, the following students won awards:
5D Koon Pak Kiu – 1st Place
6E Lee Tim Yan – 2nd Place
3C Lee Sham Yu – 3rd Place
Additionally, our Puppetry group comprised of five talented students from P.5 and P.6, won the 1st prize in the Story-to-Stage competition, organised by the EDB. In the school-wide writing competition, which was open to all grades, we were thrilled to see enthusiastic participation from all students, leading to some outstanding entries and remarkable winners.
Our NET team provides a range of fun and stimulating activities for students to enjoy English.
English Enquiry - Learn how to think critically in English.
Drama Club - Have fun acting out your English script!
Reading Bugs – Have fun reading English!
English Ambassadors – Support the school with English-related activities.
Creative Writing – Express yourself creatively and tell your story.
Creative English – Learning English through crafts, games and activities.
Debate Club – Sharpen your presentation and speaking skills.
English Explorers – Explore English through a variety of activities.
Little Einstein – Fun STEM experiments in English.
Board Games – The best way to learn English is through play!
English Musical – This year we were very proud to host our 70th Anniversary English Musical. Students had a fantastic time and learnt a lot of English along the way! Take a look at some of the pictures below to see the highlights!
We are always proud of the effort our students put into their work at Chi Hong. Here is a small selection of some of the great work students have achieved in English this year.
English learning never stays just in the school classroom. There are many ways that students can continue learning in fun and effective ways at home. Below are a range of useful resources that our English teachers have handpicked for you.
Here are some online games to help your child enjoy practising their phonics, reading, writing and grammar skills.
- Starfall: This website provides phonics-based interactive games, books, and songs for young learners to improve their English reading and writing skills.
- Duolingo: This app offers a fun and interactive way for students to learn English vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation through a series of activities and games.
- Learning Chocolate: This website provides interactive vocabulary games and exercises that help students learn English words in context.
- Funbrain: This website offers a variety of educational games and activities that help students improve their reading and writing skills.
- ESL Kids World: This website provides a collection of fun and interactive games and activities designed to help young learners improve their English language skills.
- ABCya!: This website offers a variety of educational games and activities for primary school students to improve their reading, writing, and math skills.
- LearnEnglish Kids: This website offers a variety of interactive games, songs, videos, and stories to help young learners improve their English language skills.
- EnglishCLUB: The website contains stories for children to enjoy and exercises to help them practise their English.
- ESL Games Plus: This website provides a variety of interactive games and activities designed to help young learners improve their English language skills.
- Kiz Phonics: This website provides a collection of interactive phonics games and activities for young learners to improve their English reading and writing skills.
E-books and Learning activities
Here are some online reading and listening resources, as well as worksheets and practice tests your child can do at home to challenge and develop their reading and English language skills.
- BBC Learning English: This website offers a wide range of resources for English language learners of all ages, including reading and listening exercises, grammar lessons, and vocabulary games.
- Cambridge English: This website provides a range of resources for English language learners of all ages, including practice tests, games, and activities for improving grammar and vocabulary.
- ABCmouse: This website offers a comprehensive curriculum for young learners, including English language arts, math, science, and art activities.
- Oxford Owl: This website offers free e-books for children to read online, as well as tips for parents to help their children with reading and writing skills.
- English Banana: This website provides free English resources for learners of all levels, including grammar worksheets, vocabulary lists, and reading activities.
Videos and Other
Here are some video resources for your child to watch and practise their listening and comprehension skills.
- English Central: This website offers a collection of videos with interactive captions that help students improve their English listening and pronunciation skills.
- Storyline Online: This website features famous actors reading children's books aloud, providing an engaging way for young learners to improve their English listening and comprehension skills.
- Lingokids: This app offers a variety of English language lessons, games, and activities for young learners, with a focus on developing communication skills.
- Memrise: This website provides a useful way to memorise vocabulary effectively.
- Alphablocks videos: These videos are great for your little ones to practise their phonics skills.